Usually for beginners and some are ideal for pregnant ladies and seniors.I like to think this is also an excellent way to start a session it warms up the body joints.
- Ankle flexes – sitting on the floor straight up ( support your back if you need to)with legs outstretched position or lying down on the back. Bend all your ankles forward then flex them backwards. Spread your toes as you flex. To slow down start to inhale as you bend and exhale as you flex. Very relaxing.
- Ankle Rotations – same position as above except legs slightly apart, rotate your ankles without moving your legs. First in one direction then the other, equal number of times. Add in breath awareness,inhaling as you circle up and exhaling as you circle down.You’ll notice over time that the circles will grow bigger!
- Wrist flexes and rotations – sitting as above, kneeling or standing up,raise your arms in front of you, chest level or slightly lower and flex your wrists up and down equal number of times. Then form fists( fingers over thumb) and rotate your wrists( equal number each direction). Try to do this without moving your arms. Add in breath – inhale as your circle up and exhale as you circle down. Useful for office workers.
- Elbow rotations – same positioning as wrist exercises, , bring the fingertips to touch corresponding shoulders and make circles with your elbows. Inhaling as you circle up and exhaling as you circle down. Great relief on shoulders, especially if you sit hunched over your laptop all day.
- Knee flexes – Sit up straight on the floor,legs outstretched. Bring one knee to your chest, interlace fingers behind the bent knee. Inhaling and exhaling raise bent leg up and down,keeping the knees close to chest. Do the same with the other leg, keeping the numbers between the two sides the same.
- Knee rotations – same position as above but instead of moving the leg up and down, try making circles with the feet,movement coming from the knees. Flex and bend your ankles for added benefit.
- Hip rotations – again, same positioning as above, however, hold your knee and ankle ( of the bent leg) and make circles with your knees. Make sure not to lift the other buttock and once comfortable , try and inhale as you circle up and exhale as you circle down.Keep the numbers the same each direction and for each leg.
- Rocking baby – same position as above to start with, but cradle your bent leg and rock it from side to side as if you were rocking a baby. Try not to lift the other buttock. Excellent for opening hips.
Tip- you can always bend the other knee when you do knee flexes and rotations.